PokerStars.net Responsible Gaming
PokerStars is committed to responsible gaming, and is dedicated to an enjoyable and positive gaming experience for all of our players. Most poker players play for fun and entertainment, but we recognize that a small percentage of players will:
- Attempt to play when they’re underage, or
- Allow poker to control them and affect their lives.
The people of PokerStars are committed to assisting and protecting those who should not be playing poker at all, or who wish to limit the amount that they play.
What We Do
- Every person signing up for a new account at PokerStars must check a box that indicates that they are at least 18 years of age. This notifies everybody that we don’t accept players under 18.
- When a player creates an account with PokerStars, we collect their name, address,and birth date to confirm that the player is at least 18 years old.
- PokerStars does not target underage players with our marketing and advertising. It is neither good business nor consistent with our personal and corporate values to attract underage players.
What You Can Do
- Be sure to protect your computer. All Windows computers can be set up to have password control so that you must enter a password to get to the desktop. In general, this is a good practice, but it’s even more important when there are children or teenagers in your household. Also, keep your PokerStars screen name and password private. You can elect to have the PokerStars software not remember your password each time you log into PokerStars. If you have any concern that somebody else might attempt to access your PokerStars account, you should not allow the PokerStars software to remember your password.
- If you have children or teenagers in your household, use protection software that allows you to limit the websites to which they have access, prevent file sharing, and generally give you detailed control over how your children use the Internet. Here is a list of some of those programs:
- If you are aware of an underage person using PokerStars software, let us know. Simply send an email to email@example.com and we will get right on it. Our first step is to investigate, and if warranted, freeze the player’s account and request identification from that player; we take these reports seriously.
- Be a responsible parent. In many ways, this is nothing more than keeping your eyes and ears open. If you hear your children talking about poker accounts, deposits, and withdrawals, start asking questions. If you see the PokerStars client on your child's computer, uninstall it and ask more questions. A responsible parent is the best start to preventing underage gaming.
If you believe that poker might be a hindrance to your life rather than a form of entertainment, we at PokerStars want to help you. First, please review the following questions:
- Did you ever lose time from work or school due to playing poker?
- Has playing poker caused you to neglect your own welfare or that of your family?
- Has playing poker for long periods of time ever made your home life unhappy?
- Have you ever felt remorse after playing?
- Have you ever played longer than you had planned?
- Have you ever played poker to escape worry, trouble, boredom, or loneliness?
- Have you ever considered self-destruction or suicide as a result of your playing?
If you answered “Yes” to several of these questions, we encourage you to visit Gamblers Anonymous.
You may also wish to investigate GamBlock a software application that limits a computer’s access to online gaming sites.
How to Play Online Poker Responsibly
If you choose to play online poker, there are some general guidelines that can help make your poker playing experience safer, and reduce the risk that problems can occur:
- Don't play poker when you are upset, tired, or depressed. It is difficult to make good decisions when you are feeling down.
- Balance poker with other activities. Find other forms of entertainment so playing poker does not become too big part of your life.
- Keep up other interests and hobbies - don't let playing poker take over your life.
- Don't play poker in order to escape from stress or boredom.
- Playing in moderation is ok.
- Before playing, set strict limits on how much time you're going to spend.
If you need advice on how to play responsibly, or help with controlling your play, you can visit these web sites: